Friday, August 28, 2009

This week's Spanish Lesson

Each Friday I will post a little spanish lesson of words or phrases that I have found necessary or interesting. First, is the word Tico. Tico is the word for a native of Costa Rican. You would not call someone a Costa Rican, but a Tico (for men) and Tica (for women). I am told that this comes from the early days of coffee plantations, but I am not sure the exact syntax of the word. However, when referring to someone here, they are a Tico. Second, is a phrase that I have found myself saying over and over and OVER. ¿Cómo se dice...en Español? It is "How do you say...in spanish?" One who is learning the language this is your greatest tool in acquiring a vocabulary of words. My wonderful Tico family are so patient in explaining and pronouncing words over and over to me until I am able to say it back really well. For them Iam so thankful, they are my best teachers, I pray that one day soon my spanish will be good enough to repay them with the kindness of Christ in words. Until then, I will stumble through saying ¿Cómo se dice...en Español? making it through with the help of wonderful Ticos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment