Friday, June 25, 2010

Libre Gluten

As many of you know I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease a year ago, right after graduating college. It was a hard transition to living with a gluten free diet, but it was worth to not be sick any more. I can't believe its been a year and how much I have learned, I am a pretty good cook now (even my mom thinks so.) About 8 years of unexplained sickness is now over and I feel better than ever before. I have so much more energy, I know that might be hard to imagine. The transition to Costa Rica was difficult, the family I lived with a hard time understanding the problem, but since living on my own its been great. With exercise I have lost 45 lbs. since the diagnoses and my immune system is building back up. I am very thankful that it's something that I can control with diet and most of the damage can be reversed with time. I meet with my doctor while I am home in September and will get a full check on my progress. This is just another one of the many things that God has been so faithful with in my life. He has given me friends here who have celiacs to swap food and recipes, and understanding friends who help me find foods that I can eat. All of these adventures must be in preparation to write my book some day, "God, Girls and Gluten." (Title courtesy of Pastor Barry)

No comments:

Post a Comment